FAQ: How can God be loving when Abraham is tricked into thinking God wants him to kill his only child?
We must understand that what we read in the book of Genesis comes from a religion and culture which is at its early stages of growing into a relationship with God. What Genesis recounts can be difficult and confusing for us who have the benefit of having heard the message of Christ communicated through the New Testament and the Church. The passage recounting how Abraham is asked to sacrifice his son Isaac is disturbing and appalling to us because we know the nature of God through Christ. We know God as One who is loving and life-giving. Abraham did not know Christ as we do and so experienced his relationship with God differently. This is not because God was different, but rather that Abraham did not have the benefit of knowing the fullness of God. As a result Abraham experienced God’s call to trust in His promise as a severe test. In the book of Genesis we encounter the relationship between God and Abraham from Abraham’s point of view and experience. Even at this primitive stage of humanity’s relationship with God, Abraham learns that God does not want his son to die, but rather it is God who will provide the sacrifice Himself. Abraham gets a glimpse of what we will experience and see clearly in Christ. Christ, as true man and true God, gives Himself, so that all human beings can live.
January - February 2018 2018
Recent Blog Posts
- Blog: 08.01.18“Peace is the harmony of good order. Good order is the membering of man in ready acceptance and honest love.” (Edward Holloway, Catholicism: A New Synthesis, 1)As we begin 2018, the sense of tension in the international order is strong. There are fears of nuclear war given the problem...Read More
- Blog: 30.12.17Fr Chris Findlay-Wilson made the below defence of priestly celibacy in the Catholic Herald (15th Dec., letters):"a fresh witness of true love is desperately needed; that it is love – not sex – that fulfils us as human beings." This is a point often made by Fr Holloway, ...Read More
- Blog: 24.11.17Last Saturday was the 100th anniversary of Agnes Holloway giving birth to Edward.He was born just as Lenin’s revolution began. This was the beginning of changing the poor, Christian country of Russia into the powerful Marxist one. It was predicted by Our Lady of Fatima over the previous six...Read More
- Blog: 13.11.17The Harvey Weinstein affair has unleashed a can of worms. There has been a series of exposures concerning sexual offences or inappropriate sexual behaviour of MPs, celebrities and others. There is no doubt that sexual harassment, carried out mostly by men, deserves condemnation and certainly ther...Read More
- Blog: 08.08.17We are all aware of the horror of the terrorist attacks in recent years and of the senseless attack outside the mosque in Finsbury Park, London. It is inspiring how brave those who work in the emergency services are and how strong the community support has been in all these cases. As Christians, ...Read More
- Blog: 12.01.17