To What Degree Did The Pre-Vatican II Church ‘Cause’ The Decline Of It's Influence?
In an earlier blog post we flagged up a recent Catholic Herald piece showing the need for a diagnosis of how classical Christianity came to drop the reins of cultural influence. http://tinyurl.com/nrk454m
The Winter 2013 “Mass of Ages” provides another piece of evidence. The Latin Mass Society presented a thorough analysis of twentieth century Catholic Church statistics (pp. 27-30). A key conclusion in Joseph Shaw’s helpful report was that “After about 1960, give or take a year or two, growth by all measures went into startling reverse.” He acknowledges that this was “at a very early stage of the liturgical reform”. It seems hard then to blame that reform.
His discernment of the prior causes of the collapse concerns “the visible historical continuity, universality, and stability [of] the Catholic Church.” This “was one of the features which expressed most eloquently, to people of all backgrounds, her truth. Cracks appeared in this stability and continuity with the Nouvelle Théologie (from the 1930s), [and] the 1955 Holy Week reform …” This seems a rather weak diagnosis of secularism’s taking over of the cultural reins. What caused the cracks? See following posts.
January - February 2018 2018
Recent Blog Posts
- Blog: 08.01.18“Peace is the harmony of good order. Good order is the membering of man in ready acceptance and honest love.” (Edward Holloway, Catholicism: A New Synthesis, 1)As we begin 2018, the sense of tension in the international order is strong. There are fears of nuclear war given the problem...Read More
- Blog: 30.12.17Fr Chris Findlay-Wilson made the below defence of priestly celibacy in the Catholic Herald (15th Dec., letters):"a fresh witness of true love is desperately needed; that it is love – not sex – that fulfils us as human beings." This is a point often made by Fr Holloway, ...Read More
- Blog: 24.11.17Last Saturday was the 100th anniversary of Agnes Holloway giving birth to Edward.He was born just as Lenin’s revolution began. This was the beginning of changing the poor, Christian country of Russia into the powerful Marxist one. It was predicted by Our Lady of Fatima over the previous six...Read More
- Blog: 13.11.17The Harvey Weinstein affair has unleashed a can of worms. There has been a series of exposures concerning sexual offences or inappropriate sexual behaviour of MPs, celebrities and others. There is no doubt that sexual harassment, carried out mostly by men, deserves condemnation and certainly ther...Read More
- Blog: 08.08.17We are all aware of the horror of the terrorist attacks in recent years and of the senseless attack outside the mosque in Finsbury Park, London. It is inspiring how brave those who work in the emergency services are and how strong the community support has been in all these cases. As Christians, ...Read More
- Blog: 12.01.17